Starr King School emphasizes student-centered, holistic learning that cultivates habits for successful ministry and effective spiritual leadership through:
- individually tailored courses of study,
- holistic academic advising,
- spiritual practices,
- written narrative evaluations rather than letter grades,
- learning from life experience, independent study (SKIL) and spiritual practice,
- high standards of scholarship and intellectual inquiry,
- practical engagement with congregations and communities.