Starr King School emphasizes student-centered, holistic learning that cultivates habits for successful ministry and effective religious leadership through:
- individually tailored courses of study,
- close personal attention and intensive advising,
- written evaluations rather than letter grades,
- learning from life experience, independent study and spiritual practice,
- high standards of scholarship and intellectual inquiry,
- opportunities to teach as well as take courses,
- practical engagement with congregations and communities.