Coronavirus: Information & Resources
Starr King School for the Ministry is determined to protect the safety and wellbeing of our students, faculty, and staff, while continuing our mission of training religious and social-change leaders. School leadership continues to monitor developments and will take all necessary and responsible steps for the sake of our community and society at large. If you have any questions or comments about our efforts, please contact the SKSM COVID-19 Monitoring Group: Dr. Gabriella Lettini (email@example.com), Dr. Christopher Schelin (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Rev. Jacqueline Duhart (email@example.com).
October 2022 Update: Maintaining Reasonable Precautions
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Starr King will maintain several public health precautions to support the well-being of our students, faculty, and staff. The following policies are to be followed in our Oakland offices as well as at any school event held at another location, such as Symposium, Commencement, gatherings at the UUA General Assembly, or other in-person opportunities. We also urge independent gatherings of community members to adhere to these policies:
- All persons are required to be fully vaccinated and to have received at least one booster shot before entering a classroom, office, or other space utilized by the school. We strongly recommend that every person receive the most updated booster upon eligibility. Starr King no longer requires persons to submit proof of current vaccination.
- Unvaccinated individuals must request and receive approval of an exemption in advance of attendance at in-person events. Starr King will evaluate and grant medical exemptions, or exemptions based on a religious or other sincerely-held belief, on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Dean of Students Chris Schelin (firstname.lastname@example.org) to apply for an exemption. Anyone who has been granted an exemption must adhere to testing requirements set by the school.
- We continue to require that persons wear masks while gathering indoors in close proximity.
- Persons who display recognized COVID-19 symptoms or test positive must follow CDC and local public-health guidelines for isolation and masking.
- Starr King will continue to provide hand sanitizer and extra face masks in the offices and at events.
Current Campus Operations
The Starr King offices are open during business hours. Faculty and staff resident in the Bay Area divide their time between working from home and from their offices. Appointments with personnel, whether conducted in-person or online, must be scheduled in advance. Other uses of the Starr King facilities must also be prearranged with staff/faculty sponsors.
Chapel services are hosted from the Starr King suite on the first Tuesday of the month during fall and spring semesters. Local students, faculty, and staff are welcome to participate in-person.
Starr King has received $592,250.00 through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) that was authorized by federal legislation. These grants have been used to provide emergency financial assistance to students as well as to support institutional costs incurred by the pandemic. Full reporting of Starr King’s use of HEERF funds is available here.
SKSM Relief Fund