We are looking forward to participating in Justice GA. We have many exciting events in store, whether producing, hosting, or collaborating with others, Starr King is showing up for justice and transformative learning.
Here's a sampling of what we have in store for you.
SKSM BOOTH #318
Booth #318 is in the main Exhibit Hall and serves as a hub for grads, students, trustees, former trustees, prospective students, donors and others who, like you, love all things Starr King. It's also a great place to network, to catch up with folk, or to simply rest your feet and hang out. Don't miss your opportunity to engage one-on-one with us, while enjoying light refreshments.
Here are a few people you will meet at the booth:
- SKSM Professor and GA Workshop Leader, Rev. Kurt Kuhwald
- 12:30 - 1:30, Thurs. 6/21
- UUA Director of Ministerial Credentialing, Rev. David Pettee
- SKSM Board of Trustees member, Rev. Sarah Moldenhauer-Salazar
- SKSM Board Chair, Author and Media Professional, Helio Fred Garcia
- SKSM President, Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker
- SKSM 2011-2012 Student Body Co-President, Patrice Curtis
- SKSM Board of Trustees member, Joan Cudhea
STARR KING PRESIDENT'S LECTURE
Dr. Rebecca Parker presents her annual President's Lecture; this year's is entitled Standing on Holy Ground: Spiritual Practices and Theological Framework for UU Social Action. This Thursday session reminds us that we stand on holy ground, when we heed the call to action of UU theological and spiritual sources.
Also, on Thursday, Dr. Parker participates in Be Bold: UU Theologies and Practices of Justice, a complementary event to her President's Lecture. While deepening your understanding of UUism, ponder which social justice actions are most effective and sustainable.
DOUBLE SESSION: IN THE AGE OF OCCUPY | THEOLOGY FOR ACTIVISTS
Starr King community members marched, were pepper sprayed, shot at, and arrested. Today's social justice work requires spiritual stamina, theological depth, and new tools for analysis and community building. On Friday morning, learn from those who applied our educating-to-counter-oppressions philosophy while on the front lines of the Occupy and Arizona movements. Power of Spirit Flash Drive Toolkits will allow you to take these theologically grounded change-making tools back to your congregation.
SKSM GRAD ASSOCIATION BREAKFAST
The Grad Association's annual gathering is a breakfast this year and the speaker is '95 grad Rev. William Sinkford, former UUA president. Dr. Rebecca Parker also shares about the present and future of the school. Details here: http://www.sksm.edu/graduates/graduate_association.php#GA
Special Offer: Starr King is raffling two free tickets to students who sign up to staff the Exhibit Hall Booth. For every slot staffed, the student will receive a raffle ticket ($30 value), increasing their chances of winning a free ticket to the GA breakfast event! Contact email@example.com to take advantage of this offer.
- SKSM Board of Trustees President Helio Fred Garcia hosts signings for his new book Power of Communications: Friday, 12:00-12:30, room 231; Friday, 12:30-1:30, UUA Bookstore Exhibit Hall Booth; and Saturday, 12:00 to 1:00, bookstore booth
- The Student Body sells their new and very popular Starr King t-shirts at the President's Lecture, Theology for Activists, and the Grad Association Breakfast.
For a complete list of Starr King Shows Up! events, locations and schedules, visit http://www.sksm.edu/ga/index.php. See you in Phoenix!