December 30, 2014

Year-End Transitions

Rev. Rosemary Bray McNatt

Rev. Rosemary Bray McNatt

Dear Ones—

I am writing with difficult news: the resignations of Starr King faculty members Dr. Dorsey Blake, Associate Professor of Spirituality and Prophetic Justice; and Rev. Kurt Kuhwald, Assistant Professor of Preaching, Pastoral Care, and Social Change. Their resignations will take effect on January 9, 2015.

For those students registered for spring classes taught by Dr. Blake and Rev. Kuhwald: please know that most of your classes will not be affected. We will announce next week those instructors who will be joining us in the coming term; you should expect your classes and reflection groups to continue as scheduled.

Both Dr. Blake and Rev. Kuhwald cited as reasons for their departure the unresolved issues surrounding the presidential search of last spring. Upon examining their consciences, neither of them felt they could accept the process outlined by the school’s board or participate in that process. I don’t agree with either of them on this issue, but I respect their honesty with me.

Many of you have studied or worked with Dr. Blake and Rev. Kuhwald, and I can only imagine your sense of loss. The fact that this particular transition comes in the wake of last spring’s events is especially painful. Yet sometimes people of good will can’t reach agreement on a way forward together, and that is the case here. In spite of our differences, I am grateful to Dr. Blake for his nine years of teaching, administration and service; and to Rev. Kuhwald for his six years of teaching and activism. They leave with my best wishes for the continued success of their ministries.

As the wheel of the year turns toward 2015, I wish you each of you grace and peace. We at Starr King will need both as we move through this transition time; please keep us in your prayers, as you are in mine.

Faithfully,

Rosemary

Share This